Tuesday, February 28, 2006

More Thoughts on Lust

In Matt 5:28 Jesus says, "But I say unto you, That whoever looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart." What does this really mean?

First, it does not mean that it is wrong to look on a woman. We know that Jesus looked at women, healed women, spoke to women, and that women were active in His ministry. Some of the most important words in verse 28 are "to lust after her". When a man looks on a woman with a strong desire in his heart to commit adultery, Jesus said he has committed adultery in his heart.

The bad or wrong kind of lust talked about in Matt 5:28 is a strong desire to have sexual relations with a woman that is not your wife. Unfortunately, some pastors, teachers, and ministers have stretched the meaning of this verse to scare young men away from looking at women for fear of committing adultery. The intent and message that Jesus was teaching is that it is wrong to have strong desires for a woman that is not your wife, whether you act on those desires or not.

Looking at a woman with strong desires for sexual relations is a form of adultery. Looking at another man's wife and wishing she was your wife is a form of coveting. These desires are wrong according to the principles taught by Jesus in Matt 5:27-28.

However, looking at a woman and admiring her beauty, finding her attractive is not wrong, if there is no strong desire to have her for yourself or to engage in sexual relations. It is possible and I content that it often happens that men look on a beautiful woman with admiration for God's created beauty without strong sexual urges.

Consider this, in Song of Songs 6:13 a group of people say the following to the bride, "Come back! Come Back, young woman from Shulam! Come Back! Come back so that we may look at you!" Four times they ask her to come back so they can look at her.

In Gen 12:11-14, Abraham is afraid to go into Egypt because his wife is so beautiful he fears what they might do to him. In verse 14, "When Abram arrived in Egypt, the Egyptians saw how very beautiful his wife was." Sarah was so beautiful that she captivated the attention of the Egyptians and Pharoah. The bible does not condemn Sarah for being so beautiful, the bible does not instruct her to cover up or hide her beauty. In I Peter, Sarah is commended for her submission and obedience to Abraham.

My Thoughts
I do not believe that looking at a beautiful women is lust. I do not believe that seeing a woman nude is lust. It can turn into lust if you allow your mind to desire something that you should not have, but it is possible to look on a woman and not lust.

When I saw Janet Jackson's breast at the SuperBowl half-time show, I was shocked. However, seeing her naked breast did not create a strong desire inside me to have sexual relations with her or to desire to have her as my wife. I could watch replays of the event and not lust, as I imagine many men could do. I am frustrated that so many people complained about how evil it was to expose the breast, but few people condemned the violence towards women. That's another topic.

I can go to a topless beach, see women tanning with their breasts exposed and not lust. I might see an attractive woman and I might like what I see, but that does not mean that I have sexual desires. I understand that some men may have strong sexual desires seeing a topless woman, but I believe that many men can control those desires.

5 Comments:

At 3/03/2006 5:25 PM, Blogger paul said...

interesting.

you seem to be onto a theme here in your blog... and i find it interesting. I'm an amateur photographer... and I appreciate line and form, etc. There are very few things (nothing?) more beautiful than a woman's body... but wow, that line between looking, admiring, and lusting is really thin, don't you think? And does it dishonor our wives when we "admire" other women? And do you have a daughter? Having a daughter made me change my perspective on this a bit as well. It seems you are tying to convince someone... maybe even yourself.

 
At 3/04/2006 12:04 AM, Blogger SAM said...

Hi Paul,
Yes, I have a theme to my blog "Sex & Marriage"...that is the name of my blog.

Is it a the thin line?
Before I understood lust, I thought it was a thin line. But that was because so many people had told me it was a thin line. Actually, I struggle more with lust when I try to hide my appreciation for God's creation. When I see a beautiful creation, admire it, and give God glory for it...I really do not struggle as much with lust. But when I am around weaker brother and sisters in Christ, and I refrain from enjoying art...then I struggle more with lust.

Honoring our wives
My wife appreciates the beauty of God's creation as well. I admire God's created work, not necessarily the women. I have found many attractive women with qualities that I do not admire. I think some snakes are beautiful, but I hate snakes.

My Mission
I know what I believe and why I believe it. I started this blog to share what I had learned. I hope that my thoughts will help other men and/or women to look at the Bible, Sex, and Marriage from a different perspective. The Pharisees added a lot of rules to protect the people from that fine line. By the time Jesus arrived, the Pharisees had created such a conservative view that even Jesus could not live up to their rules. The Pharisees were well intentioned, but they went too far. I believe a lot of ministers, pastors, and modern religious leaders have created their own set of rules and views to protect people...and fallen into the same trap as the Pharisees.

I may be a lone voice crying in the wilderness of our society. But I believe people need to look at what the Bible really says, and challenge what the modern day Pharisees are teaching.

 
At 3/04/2006 5:50 AM, Blogger paul said...

wow... those are self-assured words. :O) (I know that sounds harsh... I was laughing when I wrote it... it was meant as a playful jab!)

But you still didn't answer my questions... does your wife feel dishonored when you "admire" other women? (and by this I mean have you talked about it or are you assuming you know the answer.) I would love to hear her thoughts on this. Also, do you have a daughter?

 
At 3/04/2006 5:54 AM, Blogger paul said...

Hey SAM, would you mind if I email you some questions/statements? (I didn't see an email account anywhere... do you have one? I won't send you spam!) But I want to ask/say some things that you might not want posted. Or I can just post them and you can remove them if you think they are harsh.

 
At 3/04/2006 11:29 AM, Blogger SAM said...

Hi Paul,
You can email me at mo-geo@excite.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home